Rural screening camp to promote awareness of chronic kidney disease and detect CKD, hypertension and diabetes in Minsandra Village, Karnataka, India
Our emphasis has been to create awareness of Chronic kidney disease (CKD) in rural areas of Kolar District followed by a screening camp to detect CKD, hypertension and diabetes.
1. We held a meeting with 11 primary school teachers in the villages around Minasandra. We showed them a video in the local language (Kannada) about CKD and we had a question and answer session about CKD and planning of the screening camp
2. We have organised four short skits based around CKD and its risk factors. (skits will be uploaded to youtube) This will be enacted by the school children in front of the village crowd before the screening camp
3. We have created posters with information about kidneys and CKD in English and the local language (Kannada). These posters will be displayed in schools before and during the screening camp. We have made these posters available electronically for the teachers in the primary schools for ongoing education after the camp
4. The screening camp was held on the 3rd of March 2019 in Minsandra on the premises of the Pragathi Trust office between 8Am and 4PM. There was one Nephrologist and 8 other doctors with general medical experience to help with the camp. Anand Diagnostic Labs a reputable laboratory in Bangalore kindly agreed to do a serum creatinine and blood sugar at a subsidised price. A history sheet listing risk factors for CKD, BP, BMI, waist circumference was filled for each patient. Patients who provided a urine sample will have a dipstick analysis to look for protein.
5. We provided education to patients who turn up to the camp in small groups through the use of posters
6. We will target the cohort with abnormal results with a further consultation for arranging a management plan and further education tailored to the individual. We will involve the local Primary health care centre and health workers if possible to maintain surveillance in this group
Medical team overseeing the camp:
Dr Smrithi Upadhya MBBS
Dr Savita Shanbhag MBBS MRCP MRCPGP
Dr VS Aithal MD MRCP CCST (Renal) FRCP