About the Day
World Kidney Day is a global awareness campaign aimed at raising awareness of the importance of our kidneys.
World Kidney Day comes back every year. All across the globe many hundred events take place from public screenings in Argentina to Zumba marathons in Malaysia. We do it all to create awareness. Awareness about preventive behaviors, awareness about risk factors, and awareness about how to live with a kidney disease. We do this because we want kidney health for all.
World Kidney Day aims to raise awareness of the importance of our kidneys to our overall health and to reduce the frequency and impact of kidney disease and its associated health problems worldwide.
- Raise awareness about our “amazing kidneys” Highlight that diabetes and high blood pressure are key risk factors for Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD).
- Encourage systematic screening of all patients with diabetes and hypertension for CKD.
- Encourage preventive behaviours.
- Educate all medical professionals about their key role in detecting and reducing the risk of CKD, particularly in high risk populations.
- Stress the important role of local and national health authorities in controlling the CKD epidemic. On World Kidney Day all governments are encouraged to take action and invest in further kidney screening.
- Encourage Transplantation as a best-outcome option for kidney failure, and the act of organ donation as a life-saving initiative.
History of World Kidney Day
World Kidney Day started in 2006 and has not stopped growing ever since. Every year, the campaign highlights a particular theme.
- 2018 Kidneys & Women’s Health. Include, Value, Empower
- 2017 Kidney Disease & Obesity – Healthy Lifestyle for Healthy Kidneys
- 2016 Kidney Disease & Children – Act Early to Prevent It!
- 2015 Kidney Health for All
- 2014 Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD) and aging
- 2013 Kidneys for Life – Stop Kidney Attack!
- 2012 Donate – Kidneys for Life – Receive
- 2011 Protect your kidneys: Save your heart
- 2010 Protect your kidneys: Control diabetes
- 2009 Protect your kidneys: Keep your pressure down
- 2008 Your amazing kidneys!
- 2007 CKD: Common, harmful and treatable
- 2006 Are your kidneys OK?