All About the Day
Celebrated on the second Thursday in March, the mission of World Kidney Day is to raise awareness of the importance of our kidneys to our overall health and to reduce the frequency and impact of kidney disease and its associated health problems worldwide.
World Kidney Day aims to raise awareness of the importance of our kidneys to our overall health and to reduce the frequency and impact of kidney disease and its associated health problems worldwide.
- Raise awareness about our “amazing kidneys” Highlight that diabetes and high blood pressure are key risk factors for Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD).
- Encourage systematic screening of all patients with diabetes and hypertension for CKD.
- Encourage preventive behaviours.
- Educate all medical professionals about their key role in detecting and reducing the risk of CKD, particularly in high risk populations.
- Stress the important role of local and national health authorities in controlling the CKD epidemic. Health authorities worldwide will have to deal with high and escalating costs if no action is taken to treat the growing number of people with CKD. On World Kidney Day all governments are encouraged to take action and invest in further kidney screening.
- Encourage Transplantation as a best-outcome option for kidney failure, and the act of organ donation as a life-saving initiative.
If detected early, Chronic Kidney Diseases can be treated–thereby reducing other complications and dramatically reduce the growing burden of deaths and disability from chronic renal and cardiovascular disease worldwide.
History of World Kidney Day
World Kidney Day started in 2006 and has not stopped growing ever since. Every year, the campaign highlights a particular theme.
- 2015 Kidney Health for All
- 2014 Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD) and aging
- 2013 Kidneys for Life – Stop Kidney Attack!
- 2012 Donate – Kidneys for Life – Receive
- 2011 Protect your kidneys: Save your heart
- 2010 Protect your kidneys: Control diabetes
- 2009 Protect your kidneys: Keep your pressure down
- 2008 Your amazing kidneys!
- 2007 CKD: Common, harmful and treatable
- 2006 Are your kidneys OK?